.

18 October 2017

My Dog Accidentally Swallowed My Lisinopril Pill.

My dog ate my Lisinopril pill, is this toxic for him? Is this dangerous for her? What should I do? Should I take my dog to an ER vet? What are the expected symptoms of Lisinopril overdose in the dog?



Lisinopril Toxicity  Dog
Sometimes dogs accidentally get hold of Lisinopril tablets

1. Lisinopril is a class of drug called an ace inhibitor, it is a commonly prescribed human drug for various heart-related problems. Fortunately this drug appears to have a fairly high margin of safety in the dog, in fact, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre has said that dosages below 20 mg per kg of the dog's body weight will only cause minor side effects such as vomiting and lethargy and then recovery would be expected. Doses higher than that would be more serious of course. Given this information, you can get some idea how serious things might be in the event that your dog accidentally swallows this drug.

2. However, if your dog has swallowed this drug and you want to spare him or her any serious side effects and take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then this should greatly help.

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }




3. A commonly used way to induce vomiting in the dog is with 3% hydrogen peroxide { Not hair colouring peroxide } A usual oral dose is one teaspoon { 5 ml } per 10 pounds of the dog's body weight, this can be very effective where a dog has swallowed a drug or toxin it should not have provided this is carried out within the first hour after ingestion.

Vomiting will normally occur within 15 to 20 minutes but if no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the process a second time.

4. Of course, if any odd or unexpected symptoms do set in or if you become further concerned then you should have an ER vet check your dog over without delay.